Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Humane Society Volunteer



I signed up for the Kennel Program, Small Animal Assistant, and DBS.

I just got back from the Humane Society after being there for about an hour and a half. The orientation was scheduled for 2 hours but I am guessing that was supposed to be an estimate. Anyway before got started on the presentation and tour of the Humane Society... My mother and I saw a sparrow flying in and checking the place out. This is a rare deal for us to see indoors and I wish I had my camera but I didn't. Anyway here are a few things that I have learned. 
  • The Humane Society that I went to began, September 14, 1897.
  • 6,500 to 7,000 animals come in. 
  • Over 90% Get a home! Why? Because of Foster Parents! Take a pet home with you for 2 weeks, one month or two months. 
  • The Humane Society stands alone! And is not a chapter of HSUS, AHA or ASPCA!
  • They take pets from other places that are out of time!
  • In this Humane Society there is no such thing is out of time! 
  • Spay/Neuters are at a low cost and encouraged. 
  • There is a grooming spa for cats who are too stressed to groom themselves. 
  • Microchip Identification 
  • Vet
  • Humane Teen Club
  • Dog training-Kindergarten Class for puppies and for anything dogs need training for. 
  • People and Pets workshops-Yoga with dogs! 
  • Campus tours- Talk and show around. Girl Scouts come often. 
  • School Program-Yellow Mobile with pets inside go to schools. Can adopt from the yellow mobile. 
  • Pet Food Bank-Always needs food. There was a huge storage of food when I went to the shelter. But by the time June comes around. It needs to be restored. 
  • Pet Project- For people who have aids. 
  • Pets are good for senior citizens. 
  • Visiting Pet Friends
  • There is a limit to what kind of pets are allowed to stay. But they never turn a pet down. Once they held a pig for three weeks. Then had to send it on its way to a place that could provide help for the pig. 
PLEASE VOLUNTEER, APPLY FOR A JOB, ADOPT A PET, GIVE FOOD TO THE PET FOOD DRIVE OR PUT A BIN YOUR GROCERY STORE,  BE A FOSTER PARENT, AND TELL EVERYONE ABOUT THE HUMANE SOCIETY. DO WHATEVER YOU CAN TO HELP! 

No comments:

Post a Comment